Columbia Christians for Life
P.O. Box 50358, Columbia, S.C. 29250 * (803) 794-6273 * www.ChristianLifeandLiberty.net
“… I will build My church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” Matthew 16:18
May 25, 2010
TO: REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES FOR SOUTH CAROLINA GOVERNOR
Congressman Gresham Barrett
Lieutenant Governor André Bauer
State Representative Nikki Haley
Attorney General Henry McMaster
FR: Steve Lefemine, pro-life missionary, dir., Columbia Christians for Life
SUBJ: YOUR POSITION ON THE SANCTITY OF LIFE:
1) Support for S.450 / H.3526 – the SC Personhood Bill
2) Commitment to De-fund Abortion in the State Budget
1. With the June 8 Republican Primary for South Carolina Governor just two weeks away, it is my understanding, from looking at your campaign websites, that all four GOP candidates claim to be “pro-life.” However the term “pro-life” means different things to different people. In my view, BEING PRO-LIFE MEANS AGREEING WITH GOD ON THE SANCTITY OF HUMAN LIFE WHICH HE HAS CREATED.
2. As candidates for SC Governor, if elected, will you:
a) Publicly support legislative efforts (e.g., S.450 / H.3526 ) to END ALL DECRIMINALIZED ABORTION (no so-called “exceptions” for rape/incest/life-of-the-mother – pre-born human beings are either fully-protected human “PERSONS” in the eyes of the law, with full due process and equal protection rights as guaranteed by Article I., Section 3. of the South Carolina State Constitution, or they are not). Specifically, if this legislation, Lord willing, passes the SC State Legislature, would you be willing to either a) sign it into law, or b) at least, allow the five days constitutionally designated to pass so that the law could take effect without your signature ?
b) Commit not to fund surgical abortions in the State Budget, including such funding in the State Health Insurance Plan, and the State portion of Medicaid, including for rape, incest, and life-of-the-mother abortions, as is the current practice ?
c) Commit not to fund chemical abortions in the State Budget, including such funding in the State Health Insurance Plan, the State portion of Medicaid, Title X (DHEC), or SCHIP ? [ This includes so-called “birth control” / so-called “family planning” drugs and devices which are not only contraceptive in their pharmacological functioning according to the Physicians’ Desk Reference, but which are also abortifacient; e.g., Birth Control Pills, the IUD, Depo-Provera, and other anti-life, child-prevention drugs and devices. ]
3. I would like to know the positions of each of the candidates, by letter or e-mail, concerning these three specific items:
a) Will you publicly support SC Personhood legislation (e.g., S.450 / H.3526 ) to recognize the God-given, unalienable right to life of every pre-born human being (with no “exceptions”) as a legal “person” beginning at fertilization, in South Carolina law ? Will you sign into law, or allow the five days constitutionally designated to pass so that the law could take effect without your signature, if the SC Legislature passes personhood legislation ?
b) Will you commit to veto any State Budget which funds any surgical abortions ?
c) Will you commit to veto any State Budget which funds any chemical abortions ?
4. Thank you for your consideration of this request for your positions on these important right to life issues. The protection of innocent human life is a duty of civil ministers second only to their acknowledge of God (Psalm 2).
Please click here for a printable version of this survey.